Heavy Duty Type 2 Silt Barrier
For Dredging, Pile Driving, and Shoreline Construction
Triton Type 2 Silt Barrier is popularly used to contain turbidity and silt during dredging activities, pile driving, shoreline construction, or demolition work. HD Type 2 turbidity barriers feature a strong bottom ballast, high strength top tension cables and a universal bulk connector. The design helps distribute weight for areas with moving water, currents, waves, or tides.
Type 2 Silt Barriers are recommended for use in areas with moderate winds, currents up to 1 knot, and waves up to two feet. Triton silt curtains help sites increase sediment settling times and reduce TSS levels. Type 2 HD Silt Barriers are available in both impermeable and permeable models depending on the requirements of your location.
Type 2 Silt Barrier Specifications
|Product||Type 2 Heavy Duty||Type 2 HD Permeable|
|PDF Documents||Product Flyer
|Standard Length||50' or 100'||50' or 100'|
|Depth||3' to 100'||3' to 100'|
|Flotation||6" Float (≤ 10' D)
8" Float ( ≤ 20' D)
12" Float (> 20' + D)
|6" Float (≤ 10' D)
8" Float ( ≤ 20' D)
12" Float (> 20' + D)
|Fabric||22 oz. PVC||22 oz. PVC w/ 6 oz. Monofilament|
|Top Section Connectors||Universal Slide Bulk Connectors||Universal Slide Bulk Connectors|
|Bottom Connectors||Bottom Stress Plates||Bottom Stress Plates|
|Tension Cables||5/16" Top Tension Cable||5/16" Top Tension Cable|
|Bottom Chain||5/16" Steel Ballast Chain||5/16" Steel Ballast Chain|
Note for All Salt Water Areas:
Any time you are implementing a Floating Silt Barrier in salt water oceans or lakes, it is recommended that your barrier feature Stainless Steel Cables and Zinc Anode Components. These components offer a higher resistance to corrosion, common with extended salt water use.
Dealing with a Short Term Project? Working with a tight project budget? Standard galvanized components will work in salt water areas for a period up to 12 months.
Type 2 Silt Barrier Features
- 5/16" Bottom Ballast Chain
- Impermeable or Permeable Models
- Marine Grade Universal Section Connectors
- Perfect for Moving Water and Intercoastal Waterways
- Standard Section Lengths: 50 ft. or 100 ft.
- Standard Depth: 5 ft.
Type 2 Silt Curtain Applications
Type 2 Silt Barriers are great for controlling silt in range of conditions with moving water. Some of the most common uses include the following
- Dredging Operations
- Construction Projects
- Marine Projects
- River Silt Control
- Great Lakes Construction Projects
- Restoration Projects
- Protection of Aquatic Habitats (Sea Grass Beds, Aquaculture Facilities, Spawning Areas)
- Reduction of Silt Settling Times
- Compliance with Local & Federal Regulations (including DOT regulations, Federal Clean Water Act, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), NPDES Phase II Regulations
- Avoidance of Fines and Shut Downs
Common Questions about Type 2 Silt Barrier
- What depth do I need for my type 2 silt curtain?
Determining the right depth depends mostly on the specific water depth in your location. It is typically recommended that the bottom skirt of your curtain hang down at a length that will allow the barrier to sit about One Foot from the Floor. This means that all depths will be chosen based on location.
- How do I choose between a Permeable and Impermeable Model?
Most turbidity barriers feature an impermeable fabric that retains sediment and silt to a dredging or construction site location. However, in certain instances, having water flow through the curtain can help maximize the efficiency of your project. For these locations, permeable monofilament fabrics are placed within the bottom skirt. These filter fabrics keep sediment contained, while still allowing water to flow through the Floating Silt Curtain. Permeable models are most commonly added to the Type 2 and Type 3 Barriers.
Additional Type 2 Silt Barrier Models
Additional Products for Anchoring and Installation:
- Anchor Kits: Anchor, Painter Rope, Buoy
- Tow Bridle: Helps Distribute Weight During Towing
- Reefing Lines: Adjust the Bottom Curtain
- Tidal Compensator: Self-Adjust Booms in Tidal Areas
- Silt Screen Accessories (PDF)
Other Floating Barrier Options
Realizing that not all water locations will fall into these parameters, we also offer floating silt curtains in two other models: Type 1 Silt Barriers (calm water) and Type 3 Silt Barriers (offshore/demanding water).